All players, coaches, and umpires of the Korea Baseball Championship (top professional league) and Futures League (minor league) will be wearing yellow ribbon on their caps and helmets beginning May 3. This was decided on April 29 during the Korea Baseball Organization’s (KBO) Board of Director Meeting.
These yellow ribbons are meant as a prayer for the safe return of those missing from the capsized Sewol ferry. It also is a sign of respect towards those affected by the tragic accident.
Furthermore, the ballclubs have decided to continue to refrain from cheerleading, using electronic loudspeakers, and organizing fan festivities until an appropriate time.
Players, coaches, and personnel have also paid visits to the memorial altars during the past few days.
*For those interested in visiting a memorial altar nearby, below is a list complied by Suzy Chung, who writes for Korea.net:
Where to go to pay respects to the victims of the Sewol ferry disaster. Memorial altar locations: pic.twitter.com/WNDHnBeg7h
— Suzy Chung (@suzyinseoul) April 30, 2014
- Korea Baseball Organization (Apr. 29, 2014): KBO 이사간담회 결과
- The Yeongnamilbo (Apr. 30, 2014): “세월호 아픔과 함께하는 야구 하겠다”
- MK Sports (May 3, 2014): 노란 리본 단 채병용 ‘희망을 담아 던져요’
- MK Sports (May 3, 2014): 강민호 ‘1타점 2루타로 찬스 살렸어요’
- MK Sports (May 3, 2014): ‘심판들도 노란 리본 캠페인에 동참’
- mydaily (May 3, 2014): 솔로포 박용택 ‘호쾌한 홈런 스윙’
- mydaily (May 3, 2014): 칸투 ‘분명히 파울인데’
- Osen (May 3, 2014): 배영수, ‘모자에 노란 리본 달고’
- Osen (May 3, 2014): 손민한, ‘날카로운 눈빛’
- Sports Korea (May 3, 2014): 조상우 ‘하체의 힘으로 던진다’
- Sports Korea (May 3, 2014): 패스트볼 던지는 홀튼 ‘시즌 4승을 향하여’
- Twitter: Suzy Chung