The Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) and Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs (MPVA) will hold their third annual “Patriotism Campaign” (나라 사랑 캠페인) on June 1-7 to honor and respect those who fought and worked for the country.
During this period, ballclubs will be inviting veterans and their families, while some of them will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. In addition, each teams will be displaying promotional video clips and quotes on the scoreboard in between innings.
June 6 is the Memorial Day of South Korea. (Along with this, the Korean government designated the entire month as a military/patriot appreciation period.) Flags will be raised at half mast, and there will be a moment of silence before the game to show respect for those who sacrificed for South Korea (as well as for those affected by the tragic Sewol ferry accident).
On June 5-8, all players will be wearing the “Great Patriot Tree” patch on their uniforms.
Other than this, some of the ballclubs will be wearing their own version of military jerseys during their home game on Memorial Day (or closest to it):
- Busan Lotte Giants: The Giants will be wearing their camouflage jerseys on June 5, which would be their home game closest to Memorial Day.
- Changwon NC Dinos: The Dinos had a special Navy uniform since the city they play in has a naval base. However, they have a bye series starting on Memorial Day, and has not announced whether they will wear them on June 5.
- Hanwha Eagles: The Eagles has jumped onto the bandwagon this season as they unveiled their camouflage jerseys earlier this season. These will be worn on Memorial Day as they have a home game then.
- Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs (English)
- The Great Patriot Tree (Korean)
- SK 4-7 NC (2013.06.06, 마산야구장), Changwon NC Dinos, Jun. 6, 2013.
- 2013 6월 6일 기아戰, Busan Lotte Giants, Jun. 7, 2013.
- 밀리터리유니폼, Hanwha Eagles (Eagles Shop).
- KBO-국가보훈처, 「나라사랑 캠페인」 실시, Korea Baseball Organization, Jun. 1, 2014.