What is a Baseball Glove?
A baseball glove is a large mitt, typically made of leather or synthetic material, that is worn on the hand of a baseball player. The glove is designed to protect and cushion the player’s hand while providing additional grip and control when catching, throwing and fielding a baseball. Baseball gloves come in different sizes and styles, depending on the position played. Baseball gloves are also known as mitts.
Why Break-in a Baseball Glove?
Breaking-in a baseball glove is important to the performance of the glove. Breaking-in a glove helps it become more flexible and comfortable. When a new glove is at its stiffest, it is difficult to properly close the glove around the ball. This can lead to dropped balls and missed plays. Breaking-in a glove also increases the life of the glove by preventing it from becoming overstretched.
How to Break-in a Baseball Glove in 5 Minutes
Breaking-in a baseball glove in five minutes requires the use of some tools and a few simple steps. With the right tools and a few minutes of your time, you can quickly break-in your glove and get it game-ready.
Step 1: Gather the Tools
The first step to breaking-in a baseball glove in five minutes is to gather the right tools. You will need a glove mallet, a glove conditioner, and a glove oil. You may also want to have a towel or rag handy.
Step 2: Apply Conditioner to the Glove
The next step is to apply a glove conditioner to the entire glove. This will help soften the leather and make the glove more pliable. Apply the conditioner liberally and let it sit for a few minutes.
Step 3: Use the Glove Mallet
Once the conditioner has had a chance to soak in, use the glove mallet to gently pound the glove. This will help loosen up the leather and make it more flexible. Be sure to pound the entire glove.
Step 4: Apply Glove Oil
After pounding the glove with the mallet, apply a glove oil to the glove. This will help keep the leather soft and pliable. Again, apply the oil liberally and let it sit for a few minutes.
Step 5: Work the Glove
The final step is to work the glove. This can be done by using your hands to bend, twist and shape the glove into its desired shape. You can also use a baseball to help work the glove. Put the baseball in the pocket of the glove and work the ball around the pocket. This will help break-in the pocket and make it easier to catch the ball.
Tips for Breaking-in a Baseball Glove
- Conditioner: Be sure to use a quality conditioner and apply it liberally. This will help soften the leather and make the glove more pliable.
- Mallet: Use a glove mallet to gently pound the glove. This will help loosen up the leather and make it more flexible.
- Oil: Apply a glove oil to the glove. This will help keep the leather soft and pliable.
- Work the Glove: Use your hands to bend, twist, and shape the glove into its desired shape. You can also use a baseball to help work the glove.
Additional Tips for Baseball Glove Care
Once you have broken-in your glove, it is important to take proper care of it. Here are some tips for keeping your glove in top condition:
- Clean: Clean your glove regularly with a damp cloth. Be sure to let the glove dry completely before storing.
- Condition: Condition your glove with a glove conditioner every few months. This will help keep the leather soft and pliable.
- Store: Store your glove in a cool, dry place. The ideal temperature is between 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Repair: If your glove becomes damaged, have it repaired as soon as possible. This will help extend the life of the glove.
Breaking-in a baseball glove in five minutes can be done with the right tools and a few simple steps. Be sure to use a quality conditioner and glove oil and work the glove into its desired shape. Following these steps will help make your glove game-ready and increase its life. Additionally, taking proper care of your glove will help keep it in top condition.