Pitching Speed of 9 Year Olds
It’s no secret that children can be incredibly talented in sports. Nine year olds are no different; they have the potential to excel in many sports, including baseball. One of the most important skills in baseball is good pitching. So, how fast can 9 year olds pitch?
Factors Impacting Pitching Speed
Before we can answer the question of how fast a 9 year old can pitch, it’s important to understand the various factors that influence pitching speed. These include:
- Size and Strength – The size and strength of the pitcher can influence their pitching speed. Generally, pitchers with larger and stronger bodies are able to throw faster.
- Mental Focus – Mental focus is an important factor in the success of a pitcher. A pitcher who is focused and has clear goals is more likely to have better control over their pitching and be able to throw faster.
- Proper Technique – Learning proper technique and form is essential for any pitcher. Not only will it help them throw faster, but it will also help them stay safe and avoid injury.
- Practice – As with any skill, practice is essential for success. The more a pitcher practices, the better they will become.
Average Pitching Speed for 9 Year Olds
Now that we’ve explored the factors that can influence pitching speed, let’s answer the question: how fast can 9 year olds pitch? According to Little League Baseball, the average pitching speed for 9 year olds is between 40 and 60 mph. However, it should be noted that this is just an average and some 9 year olds may be able to pitch faster or slower.
How to Increase Pitching Speed
If you’re a 9 year old who is looking to increase their pitching speed, there are a few steps you can take. Here are some tips:
- Practice – As mentioned earlier, practice is essential for any pitcher. Make sure to practice regularly and focus on perfecting your technique.
- Strength Training – Building strength can help improve pitching speed. Make sure to focus on exercises that target the arms, shoulders, and core.
- Get Professional Help – If you’re serious about increasing your pitching speed, it’s a good idea to get professional help. Consider hiring a pitching coach to help you learn proper technique and get the most out of your practice.
- Be Patient – Increasing pitching speed takes time and practice. Don’t expect to see results overnight. Be patient and focus on improving your technique.
While increasing pitching speed can be beneficial, it’s important to keep safety in mind. Fast pitching can put a strain on the body and can lead to injury if not done properly. Make sure to always practice with proper form and technique and don’t push yourself too hard.
What Should 9 Year Olds Aim For?
For 9 year olds, the average pitching speed is between 40 and 60 mph. However, it’s important to note that this is just an average and some 9 year olds may be able to pitch faster or slower. The goal should not be to reach a certain speed, but rather to focus on perfecting their technique and improving their overall pitching ability.
Tips for Parents
If you’re a parent of a 9 year old who is interested in pitching, there are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Encourage Practice – Encourage your child to practice regularly and focus on perfecting their technique. This will help them become a better pitcher and stay safe.
- Be Supportive – Pitching can be difficult, especially for young children. Make sure to be supportive and offer encouragement, even when your child makes mistakes.
- Be Patient – Becoming a great pitcher takes time and practice. Don’t expect results overnight. Be patient and focus on the long-term progress of your child.
- Safety First – Above all else, safety should be the top priority. Make sure your child is practicing with proper technique and not pushing themselves too hard.
At the end of the day, the question of how fast can 9 year olds pitch is not an easy one to answer. The average pitching speed for 9 year olds is between 40 and 60 mph, but this is just an average and some 9 year olds may be able to pitch faster or slower. Ultimately, the goal should not be to reach a certain speed, but rather to focus on perfecting their technique and improving their overall pitching ability.
- Little League Baseball. (2020). Pitching Rules and Regulations. Retrieved from littleleague.org/playing-rules/pitching-rules-and-regulations/
- Meyer, C. (2019). Baseball Pitching: The Complete Guide. Retrieved from stack.com/a/baseball-pitching-the-complete-guide
- Jensen, J. (2020). Baseball Pitching Speed: How Fast Can Kids Pitch? Retrieved from activekids.com/baseball/articles/baseball-pitching-speed-how-fast-can-kids-pitch