What is a Baseball Glove?
A baseball glove, also known as a mitt or fielder’s glove, is a padded leather glove worn by baseball players to assist in catching the ball during practice or in a game. The glove is specially designed to help grip, catch, and control the ball. Over the years, gloves have been designed to become more comfortable, flexible and protective.
The Different Types of Baseball Gloves
When shopping for a baseball glove, it is important to know the different types available.
- Infield Gloves – These gloves are typically shorter and lighter, and have a tighter fit than outfield gloves. They are made to help the player move quickly to field ground balls and make quick throws to first base.
- Outfield Gloves – These gloves are longer and have extra padding to help protect the hand from hard-hit balls. They are designed to help the player catch fly balls.
- Catchers Mitts – These gloves are designed with extra padding and a larger pocket to help catch and control fast pitches. They are typically larger and rounder than other gloves.
How to Measure Your Hand for a Baseball Glove
Before purchasing a glove, it is important to measure your hand to find the perfect size glove.
- Measure the full circumference of your palm at the widest point, not including your thumb.
- Measure the length of your hand from the base of your palm to the tip of your middle finger.
How to Choose a Baseball Glove
Once you know the size of glove you need, you can then focus on the type of glove that best suits your needs.
- Decide on the material you want your glove to be made of. Many gloves are made of leather, but there are also synthetic materials that are more durable and lighter in weight.
- Consider the webbing of the glove. Open webbing allows for more flexibility and a better view of the ball, while closed webbing is more secure and can help keep the ball in the pocket.
- Choose a glove with the right padding and protection. Extra padding can help protect the hand from hard-hit balls.
Breaking In a Baseball Glove
Once you have chosen the right glove, it is important to break it in properly. Breaking in a glove can take some time and patience, but it is an important step in getting the glove to fit properly. Here are some tips on breaking in your glove.
- Wrap the glove in a soft cloth and tie it shut with a rubber band.
- Place the glove in a plastic bag and fill it with lukewarm water. Let it sit for about an hour.
- Remove the glove from the bag and let it dry naturally.
- Once the glove is dry, put it on and shape it to your hand.
- To help soften the leather, rub the glove with a leather conditioner or a wax-based leather conditioner.
- To help break in the pocket, stuff the glove with newspaper and tie it shut with a rubber band.
- Play catch with the glove to help it form to your hand.
How Should a Baseball Glove Fit?
A properly fitting glove should feel snug and comfortable without being too tight or too loose.
The glove should fit snugly around the fingers and should not be too tight or too loose. There should be enough room for the fingers to move freely.
Back of the Hand Fit
The glove should fit snugly around the back of the hand, but should not be too tight. It should not be so loose that your hand can move around inside the glove.
The glove should fit comfortably around the wrist without being too tight or loose. It should not be too loose that it slips off your hand or too tight that it restricts movement.
The thumb of the glove should fit snugly against the thumb of your hand. It should not be too tight or too loose.
The glove should fit snugly around the webbing between the thumb and index finger. It should not be too tight or too loose.
Maintaining a Baseball Glove
Once you have broken in your glove, it is important to maintain it properly to keep it in good condition. Here are some tips for maintaining your glove.
- Store the glove in a cool, dry place.
- Clean the glove regularly with a damp cloth.
- Condition the glove regularly with a leather conditioner.
- Keep the glove away from direct sunlight, heat and humidity.
- Avoid getting the glove wet.
- Replace the glove when it becomes too worn or damaged.
A properly fitting baseball glove is an important tool for any baseball player. It is important to measure your hand to get the right size glove, choose the right type of glove for your needs, and break it in properly. Once you have the right glove, it is important to maintain it properly to keep it in good condition. With the right glove, you can improve your game and have more fun playing baseball.