Introduction to Notre Dame Baseball
Notre Dame baseball has a long and storied history. The Fighting Irish were founded in 1892 and have been playing baseball ever since. The team has won two national championships, the first in 1902 and the most recent in 1957. It has also made numerous College World Series appearances and has had many of its players go on to have successful professional careers.
Notre Dame Baseball in 2020
The 2020 season was a difficult one for Notre Dame baseball. With the Covid-19 pandemic causing disruptions to the college sports landscape, the Fighting Irish had an abbreviated schedule. The team finished the season with a 17-13 record, including a 9-9 record in ACC play.
Notre Dame has had many talented players over the years. Some of the most notable include:
- Eric Jagielo – Jagielo was a third-baseman for the Fighting Irish from 2011-2013. He was a two-time All-American, and was selected as a first-round draft pick by the New York Yankees in 2013.
- Steve Selsky – Selsky was an outfielder for Notre Dame from 2008-2011. He was a two-time All-American, and was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in 2011.
- A.J. Pollock – Pollock was an outfielder for the Fighting Irish from 2007-2009. He was a two-time All-American, and was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2009.
- Aaron Heilman – Heilman was a pitcher for Notre Dame from 1999-2001. He was a two-time All-American, and was drafted by the New York Mets in 2001.
- Jeff Samardzija – Samardzija was a pitcher for the Fighting Irish from 2003-2006. He was a two-time All-American, and was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in 2006.
The 2020 Notre Dame Baseball Season
Notre Dame began the 2020 season with high hopes. The Fighting Irish were ranked in the top 25 in several preseason polls, and expectations were high for the team to compete for a spot in the College World Series.
Unfortunately, the season was cut short due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The team finished the season with a 17-13 record, including a 9-9 record in ACC play. Despite the shortened season, the Fighting Irish still managed to make their mark in the ACC, finishing with an overall conference record of 6-6, good for fourth place in the conference standings.
The 2020 season saw the Fighting Irish compete in several notable games. Here are some of the highlights:
Notre Dame vs. Boston College
The Fighting Irish opened the season with a series against the Boston College Eagles. The series was split, with Notre Dame winning the first game 6-3 before dropping the second game 4-2.
Notre Dame vs. North Carolina State
Notre Dame and North Carolina State faced off in a three-game series in mid-March. The Fighting Irish won the first two games, 5-4 and 2-1 respectively, before dropping the third game 10-7.
Notre Dame vs. North Carolina
The Fighting Irish and North Carolina Tar Heels met for a three-game series in early April. Notre Dame won the first two games, 10-9 and 2-1 respectively, before dropping the third game 9-2.
What was the Score to the Notre Dame Baseball Game?
The Notre Dame baseball team ended the 2020 season with a 17-13 record, including a 9-9 record in ACC play. The team’s most notable wins included a series win against Boston College, a series win against North Carolina State, and a series win against North Carolina.
Overall, the 2020 Notre Dame baseball season was a success, despite the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Fighting Irish finished the season with a 17-13 record, including a 9-9 record in ACC play. The team also managed to make its mark in the ACC, finishing with an overall conference record of 6-6, good for fourth place in the conference standings.
- Notre Dame Baseball Website: und.com/sports/baseball/
- Notre Dame Athletics Website: und.com/
- NCAA Baseball Website: ncaa.com/sports/baseball/d1