The American League Championship game, or ALCS, is the annual championship series of Major League Baseball’s American League (AL). The winner of the series advances to the World Series, the championship series of Major League Baseball (MLB). This year, the ALCS will be held in the Petco Park in San Diego, California. The ALCS will feature two teams, the Houston Astros and the Tampa Bay Rays.
The Houston Astros are the reigning American League Champions. This will be the third time the Astros have made it to the ALCS, having previously won it in 2005 and 2017. The Astros are a strong team, led by their All-Star shortstop Carlos Correa. Other key players include their ace pitcher Justin Verlander, outfielders George Springer and Michael Brantley, and designated hitter Yordan Alvarez.
Tampa Bay Rays
The Tampa Bay Rays are making their first-ever ALCS appearance this year. The Rays have been one of the most consistent teams in the AL for the last several years, and this year is no exception. Led by their star pitcher Blake Snell and All-Star catcher Mike Zunino, the Rays have had a solid season. Other key players include first baseman Ji-Man Choi, outfielder Tommy Pham, and utility player Kevin Kiermaier.
Houston Astros vs Tampa Bay Rays Roster Comparison
- Pitchers: Justin Verlander, Framber Valdez, Jose Urquidy, Cristian Javier, Zack Greinke, Lance McCullers Jr.
- Catchers: Martin Maldonado, Robinson Chirinos, Dustin Garneau
- Infielders: Alex Bregman, Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, Yuli Gurriel, Aledmys Diaz, Jack Mayfield, Abraham Toro, Taylor Jones
- Outfielders: George Springer, Michael Brantley, Josh Reddick, Kyle Tucker, Myles Straw, Derek Fisher, Chas McCormick
- Designated Hitter: Yordan Alvarez
Tampa Bay Rays
- Pitchers: Blake Snell, Tyler Glasnow, Ryan Yarbrough, Charlie Morton, Diego Castillo, Yonny Chirinos, Brendan McKay, Ryan Thompson
- Catchers: Mike Zunino, Mike Perez, Francisco Mejia, Kevan Smith
- Infielders: Ji-Man Choi, Brandon Lowe, Yandy Diaz, Willy Adames, Joey Wendle, Mike Brosseau, Nate Lowe, Daniel Robertson
- Outfielders: Austin Meadows, Kevin Kiermaier, Hunter Renfroe, Guillermo Heredia, Manuel Margot, Randy Arozarena, Brett Phillips
- Designated Hitter: Hunter Renfroe
Houston Astros vs Tampa Bay Rays Season Head-to-Head
The Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Rays faced off three times this season, with the Astros winning two games and the Rays winning one. The Rays won the first game 5-2, while the Astros won the next two games by scores of 5-1 and 4-3 respectively.
The Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Rays are two of the best teams in the American League this season. The Astros have the advantage of experience in the ALCS, having won it before, while the Rays are making their first-ever appearance. On paper, the Astros are the stronger team, with their strong lineup led by Carlos Correa, Justin Verlander and George Springer. The Rays, however, are no slouches either, with their ace pitcher Blake Snell and All-Star catcher Mike Zunino. This ALCS promises to be an exciting one, with two teams of similar strength facing off for the championship.
The expectation is that the Astros will have the edge in this series, having the experience of having won it before and the superior lineup. However, the Rays have the benefit of home-field advantage and will be looking to make the most of it. The Rays’ lineup is solid, and if Blake Snell has a good series, the Rays could cause an upset and win the ALCS.
While it is difficult to predict the outcome of the ALCS, the Astros are the favorites to win the series. The Astros have the experience and the firepower to win the series, but the Rays have the advantage of home-field advantage and the fact that they are making their first-ever appearance in the ALCS. If Blake Snell can have a dominant series, the Rays could pull off an upset and win the ALCS.
The 2020 American League Championship game will feature the Houston Astros and the Tampa Bay Rays. The Astros are the reigning champions and have a strong lineup led by Carlos Correa, Justin Verlander, and George Springer. The Rays are making their first-ever ALCS appearance, and have the benefit of home-field advantage. The Astros are the favorites to win the series, but if Blake Snell can have a dominant series, the Rays could pull off an upset and win the ALCS.