Who is the Highest Paid Baseball Player in 2020?
Baseball is one of America’s favorite pastimes and one of the most popular sports worldwide. The National Baseball League (MLB) is the highest level of professional baseball in the US and the world. Every year, some of the world’s best players are signed by MLB teams to compete in the league. With huge salaries and benefits, these top players are among the highest paid athletes in the world. So, who is the highest paid baseball player in 2020?
The Highest Paid Player in MLB
The highest paid player in Major League Baseball for 2020 is Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw. The three-time Cy Young Award winner has an annual salary of $31 million, making him the highest paid player in the league. Kershaw is one of the most decorated pitchers in baseball, with an impressive resume that includes seven All-Star appearances, three National League MVP awards, and a World Series title.
The Other Highest Paid Players in MLB
While Kershaw is the highest paid player in MLB, there are several other players who are close behind him in terms of salary. The following players are among the highest paid in the league:
- Manny Machado – San Diego Padres – $30 million
- Zack Greinke – Houston Astros – $29.5 million
- David Price – Los Angeles Dodgers – $29 million
- Nolan Arenado – Colorado Rockies – $26 million
The Highest Paid Players by Position
Each position in baseball has its own salary range, and some positions tend to be more lucrative than others. The following are the highest paid players at each position in 2020:
- Pitcher – Clayton Kershaw – Los Angeles Dodgers – $31 million
- Catcher – Buster Posey – San Francisco Giants – $21 million
- First Base – Miguel Cabrera – Detroit Tigers – $30 million
- Second Base – Robinson Cano – New York Mets – $24 million
- Third Base – Nolan Arenado – Colorado Rockies – $26 million
- Shortstop – Manny Machado – San Diego Padres – $30 million
- Left Field – Bryce Harper – Philadelphia Phillies – $26 million
- Center Field – Mike Trout – Los Angeles Angels – $37.7 million
- Right Field – Giancarlo Stanton – New York Yankees – $26 million
The Highest Paid Players by Team
Each MLB team has its own salary structure, and some teams are able to pay more than others. The following are the highest paid players on each team in 2020:
- Los Angeles Dodgers – Clayton Kershaw – $31 million
- Boston Red Sox – David Price – $29 million
- New York Yankees – Giancarlo Stanton – $26 million
- Philadelphia Phillies – Bryce Harper – $26 million
- Chicago Cubs – Jon Lester – $25 million
- San Francisco Giants – Buster Posey – $21 million
- St. Louis Cardinals – Yadier Molina – $20 million
- Texas Rangers – Elvis Andrus – $15 million
- Houston Astros – Zack Greinke – $29.5 million
- Washington Nationals – Stephen Strasburg – $25.83 million
Rising Stars and Breakout Players
Every year, new players enter the league and make an impact on the game. Some of these players become breakout stars and sign lucrative contracts with their teams. In 2020, some of the rising stars in MLB include:
- Shohei Ohtani – Los Angeles Angels – $2.3 million
- Gleyber Torres – New York Yankees – $605,000
- Ronald Acuna Jr. – Atlanta Braves – $1 million
- Jorge Polanco – Minnesota Twins – $3.85 million
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. – Toronto Blue Jays – $575,000
- Nick Senzel – Cincinnati Reds – $575,000
Team Payrolls in 2020
The Los Angeles Dodgers have the highest payroll in the MLB in 2020, with a total of $220 million. The New York Yankees are in second place with a payroll of $214 million, followed by the Boston Red Sox ($197 million), San Francisco Giants ($177 million), and Philadelphia Phillies ($162 million).
Average Player Salary in 2020
The average salary for a MLB player in 2020 is $4.4 million. The median salary is $2 million, which is significantly lower than the average salary due to the disparity of salaries among the league’s highest paid players.
Salary Cap in 2020
The MLB salary cap for 2020 is set at $208 million. The salary cap is designed to ensure that teams stay within a certain budget and do not spend too much on player salaries. This helps to ensure that teams remain competitive and the game remains fair.
Clayton Kershaw is the highest paid baseball player in 2020, with an annual salary of $31 million. He is joined by several other highly paid players, including Manny Machado, Zack Greinke, David Price, and Nolan Arenado. Each position also has its own salary range, and some teams are able to pay more than others. The MLB salary cap for 2020 is set at $208 million, and the average salary for a MLB player is $4.4 million.