What is MLB Advanced Media?
MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) is the interactive media and internet company of Major League Baseball. MLBAM is responsible for the development, maintenance, and operation of several websites, applications and services associated with Major League Baseball, including MLB.tv, MLB.com, MLB Extra Innings, MLB.tv International, MLB Radio, MLB At Bat and numerous other services. MLBAM also produces live audio and video broadcasts of Major League Baseball games, as well as other live and on-demand content.1
History of MLB Advanced Media
MLBAM was founded in 2000. The company was created to manage the internet and digital media rights for Major League Baseball. Since its inception, MLBAM has been a leader in the development and implementation of digital media, including streaming video, audio and data applications, mobile applications, and other interactive content. MLBAM has also been at the forefront of implementing technologies such as virtual reality and augmented reality, and has been credited with pioneering the modern model for digital content delivery.2
Services Offered by MLB Advanced Media
MLBAM offers a wide range of services to its partners and customers, including:
- MLB.tv : MLB.tv is the premier streaming service for Major League Baseball games. Subscribers can watch live and on-demand games in HD and 4K quality, as well as access bonus features like multiple camera angles and stats overlays.
- MLB.com : MLB.com is the official website of Major League Baseball. The website provides news and information about the league, players and teams, as well as video highlights and interviews.
- MLB Extra Innings : MLB Extra Innings is a subscription package that provides access to out-of-market MLB games. Subscribers can watch up to 80 out-of-market games per week from their television, computer, tablet or mobile device.
- MLB.tv International : MLB.tv International is a streaming service for international subscribers. The service provides live and on-demand coverage of Major League Baseball games in over 200 countries and territories.
- MLB Radio : MLB Radio provides live audio coverage of Major League Baseball games, as well as analysis and commentary from experts around the league.
- MLB At Bat : MLB At Bat is the official mobile application of Major League Baseball. The app provides access to live and on-demand video and audio content, as well as news, highlights, scores and statistics.
MLB Advanced Media’s Impact on Baseball
Since its launch, MLBAM has had a profound impact on the world of baseball. By providing fans with unprecedented access to live and on-demand games and content, MLBAM has made it easier than ever for fans to follow their favorite teams and players. Additionally, MLBAM has helped expand the reach of the league by providing international subscribers with access to games and content.
MLBAM has also helped to revolutionize the way Major League Baseball teams and players interact with fans. The company has developed a variety of mobile applications, websites, and services that allow teams and players to connect with fans directly. Additionally, MLBAM has developed technologies such as virtual reality and augmented reality that are helping to bring Major League Baseball into the future.3
Who Owns MLB Advanced Media?
MLB Advanced Media is owned by Major League Baseball and its 30 member clubs. MLBAM is a for-profit company, and is structured as an LLC, with the 30 clubs as its members. As the owners of MLBAM, the 30 clubs share in the profits generated by the company.4
Key People at MLB Advanced Media
MLBAM is led by President & CEO Bob Bowman. Mr. Bowman has been with MLBAM since its founding in 2000. He has served as the company’s President & CEO since 2008. Other key personnel at MLBAM include:
- Ryan Breen, Senior Vice President, Business Operations
- John McDonough, Senior Vice President, Content
- Chris Marinak, Senior Vice President, Strategy, Technology & Innovations
- Jason Kint, Senior Vice President & General Manager, MLB.com
MLB Advanced Media’s Financials
MLBAM has been profitable since its inception in 2000. The company has generated over $1 billion in revenue since its launch and is projected to generate $1.2 billion in 2018. MLBAM has been profitable in each of the last five years, with net income of $120 million in 2017.5
Investments by MLB Advanced Media
MLBAM has made several investments over the years, including:
- Statcast : MLBAM has made a significant investment in Statcast, a tracking system that uses high-speed cameras and radar to track player and ball movements on the field. The technology is used by MLB teams to gain insight into player performance and game strategy.
- BAMTech : MLBAM made a significant investment in BAMTech in 2016. BAMTech is a digital media company that provides streaming services for sports and entertainment content.
- Fantasy Sports Ventures : MLBAM has made several investments in fantasy sports companies, including Major League Baseball’s own fantasy sports platform, MLB.com Fantasy Baseball.
Future of MLB Advanced Media
MLBAM is well positioned to remain a leader in digital media and technology for years to come. The company has already made significant investments in technologies such as virtual reality and augmented reality, and is likely to continue to invest in new technologies as they become available. Additionally, MLBAM is likely to continue to expand its streaming services and develop new applications and services to meet the demands of the ever-changing digital media landscape.6
MLB Advanced Media has been a leader in the digital media space since its launch in 2000. The company is owned by Major League Baseball and its 30 member clubs, and is led by President & CEO Bob Bowman. MLBAM provides a wide range of services, including streaming video, audio and data applications, mobile applications, and other interactive content. MLBAM has been profitable since its inception, generating over $1 billion in revenue since its launch. The company has made several investments, including in Statcast, BAMTech, and fantasy sports ventures. MLBAM is well positioned to remain a leader in digital media and technology for years to come.
1MLB Advanced Media – Wikipedia. (n.d.). Retrieved from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Advanced_Media
2 Karp, A. (2017, April 6). How MLB Advanced Media Became the Most Innovative Company in Sports. Retrieved from wired.com/2017/04/mlb-advanced-media-digital-sports/
3 MLB Advanced Media – About. (n.d.). Retrieved from mlbam.com/about
4MLB Advanced Media – Wikipedia. (n.d.). Retrieved from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Advanced_Media
5 Karp, A. (2017, April 6). How MLB Advanced Media Became the Most Innovative Company in Sports. Retrieved from wired.com/2017/04/mlb-advanced-media-digital-sports/
6 MLB Advanced Media – About. (n.d.). Retrieved from mlbam.com/about